News Releases

Kansas Soldiers Home to Receive Kitchen Renovation

Kitchen renovation to take place.

The Kansas Soldiers’ Home is happy to announce that the long awaited remodeling project of the facility kitchen is commencing in late November 2020.  The project includes a complete remodel of the original kitchen in the long term care unit, Halsey Hall.

The current kitchen was built when the building was first constructed, in 1970.  The kitchen has not had any improvements or significant appliance replacements since being built.  The project includes remodeling the kitchen and serving line floorplan to better accommodate handicapped residents and replace 50 year old kitchen equipment (stoves, hoods, refrigerators, etc…) with modern, energy efficient replacements.  Additionally, the project will replace the flooring, ceiling and fixtures.  It will improve the HVAC as the kitchen frequently reaches high temperatures due to old and antiquated cooking and ventilating technology.

This project is possible in part due to a State Home Construction grant through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.  The grant provides for 65% of the funding, with the remaining 35% provided by the state.

The project is expected to take approximately 5 months to complete.